Italy from the UK

Aperto da UKDX, 25 Giugno 2018, 10:09:11

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

UKDX

Ciao a tutti,

I apologise for posting in English, please remove my post if it is not allowed.

During Sporadic E I often receive signals from Italy and I have been fascinated by the 43MHz allocation you have. I knew that channels were assigned for different uses but all I normally hear is data. A friend on the FMDX Italy group linked me to this forum and now I know what I am hearing, it is aquaduct telemetry!

I thought you may like to see how 43MHz sounds from the UK during Sporadic E, all 24 channels are full of telemetry plus some more channels either side. Occasionally I do hear voices including the broadcast of Mass on a Sunday.

These are some videos I made of 43MHz, I don't know the locations but maybe the north because 50MHz was open to around Milan at the same time.

During yesterday Sporadic E I even heard two analogue cordless telephones! These must be very old now because I remember similar products from the 1980s, I even had a Superstar system :) Maybe they are in the countryside and use them to cover a lot of land?

I hope you find the videos interesting and I have more reception of Italy on my youtube channel.

Thank you for reading my English :)
Paul
South coast of England.

davj2500

Citazione di: UKDX il 25 Giugno 2018, 10:09:11
I apologise for posting in English, please remove my post if it is not allowed.

During Sporadic E I often receive signals from Italy and I have been fascinated by the 43MHz allocation you have. I knew that channels were assigned for different uses but all I normally hear is data. A friend on the FMDX Italy group linked me to this forum and now I know what I am hearing, it is aquaduct telemetry!

I thought you may like to see how 43MHz sounds from the UK during Sporadic E, all 24 channels are full of telemetry plus some more channels either side. Occasionally I do hear voices including the broadcast of Mass on a Sunday.

These are some videos I made of 43MHz, I don't know the locations but maybe the north because 50MHz was open to around Milan at the same time.

During yesterday Sporadic E I even heard two analogue cordless telephones! These must be very old now because I remember similar products from the 1980s, I even had a Superstar system :) Maybe they are in the countryside and use them to cover a lot of land?

I hope you find the videos interesting and I have more reception of Italy on my youtube channel.

Hello Paul and welcome.

Thank you for posting your very interesting videos! Posts in English are welcome.
The 43MHz band over here is allocated for these purposes:

Road, forestal, hunting and fishing safety and rescue:
43,3000 MHz
43,3375 MHz
43,3125 MHz
43,3500 MHz
43,3250 MHz
43,3625 MHz

Support for industrial and agricultural companies:
43,3750 MHz
43,4125 MHz
43,3875 MHz
43,4250 MHz
43,4000 MHz
43,4375 MHz

Local maritime safety (like boat clubs, etc.):
43,4500 MHz
43,4750 MHz
43,4625 MHz
43,4875 MHz

Sport/competitions:
43,5000 MHz
43,5250 MHz
43,5125 MHz
43,5375 MHz

Medical support:
43,5500 MHz
43,5750 MHz
43.5625 MHz
43,5875 MHz

I gave a look to your videos.
The first one is talking about a bus service. The guy is asking how many people are waiting for a ride and if they have to send out more vehicles. Although he cited a couple of street names (via Isonzo, via Cesare Battisti), they are very common road names and they can be found in almost every Italian city. He has a northern accent, probably from North-East.

In the second video they are speaking a dialect of the "Veneto" region, which is located in the North-Eastern part of Italy. The fact that they are speaking their dialect and not plain Italian locates them in some rural area. I have been able to catch the words "Domador" and "Camparoneta", which are two nearby "malga" (a kind of mountain house) in the Dolomities (http://www.infodolomiti.it/en/eating-and-sleeping/alpine-huts//6967-l2.html), position 45.9066N 11.8397E. They are talking about someone that is arriving, probabily some authority for some kind of official event.

Vy73 de Davide IZ2UUF

165RGK591

ciao, sembrano comunicazioni tra  autobus e centrale operativa... sembra dal nord est dell italia... veneto.

inviato SM-A510F using rogerKapp mobile

stazione Archimede operatore Paolo in Cagliari.
IS1054SWL

lake

interessante... ,si i 43 mhz sono attualmente forse piu' abbandonati degli 11 m , ma qualcuno c'è sempre....
grazie anche a davide di aver indicato i vari spicchi secondo l'allocazione, sapevo che su queste frequenze c'erano servizi agricoli, industriali, ma "medical support" proprio no.......
Monitor R1A IR2CL  145.637,5
https://ik2zlj.jimdo.com/ir2cl-fm/
ik2zlj-r virtual server ovh

UKDX

Thank you everyone for the nice welcome and I am pleased you like the videos. Thank you for the information about 43MHz and especially for the extra information about who is speaking on my recordings, it really makes it interesting to know what is being spoken and where they are.

The cordless telephones I have received are all on 45MHz so this must of been an old allocation for Italy. In the UK we were never allowed high power systems and ours were on 31/39/47MHz but very very low power.

I hear quite a lot of radio station links between 50-68MHz and when the Sporadic E is good also the Police(?) on 78 and 79MHz.

If I receive more Italian signals that are interesting I will post them here.

Paul

IW4ANV

Hi Paul, welcome on the blog.
I hope meeting you on air.
Best 73s
:up:

UKDX

Hi Aldo, thank you! I do transmit sometimes on 6m so maybe one day we may meet on air.  :up: I only transmit from the car because some time ago I used my ic706 in the house and burned my Icom IC-8500  :lipsrsealed:

Paul
G7PUV
JO00au

davj2500

Citazione di: UKDX il 25 Giugno 2018, 17:41:23
Thank you everyone for the nice welcome and I am pleased you like the videos. Thank you for the information about 43MHz and especially for the extra information about who is speaking on my recordings, it really makes it interesting to know what is being spoken and where they are.

The cordless telephones I have received are all on 45MHz so this must of been an old allocation for Italy. In the UK we were never allowed high power systems and ours were on 31/39/47MHz but very very low power.

I hear quite a lot of radio station links between 50-68MHz and when the Sporadic E is good also the Police(?) on 78 and 79MHz.

If I receive more Italian signals that are interesting I will post them here.

Hello Paul.

The 75-79MHz segment is allocated to the Police, while 73-74MHz segment is allocated to Fire Department.
Please, do not post here videos recorded in that segment (Police and Fire dept.) because in Italy recording (and, even worse, spreading) of such communications is strictly forbidden and the forum administrators could get in troubles.
The 43-50 MHz FM cordless phones must be very old, some 90's legacy: they are no more on the market since ages!

Vy73 de Davide IZ2UUF

UKDX

Hi Davide, I appreciate you letting me know that, I'll be careful what I do post and most of my listening takes place below 70MHz.  :up: Let me just say those signals are very strong when Sporadic E is good to Italy.  :wink:

In the UK our Police, Fire and ambulance services went digital Tetra some years ago to stop people listening with scanners. In two years they will transfer to 4G/5G using a system from EE mobile.

davj2500

Citazione di: UKDX il 25 Giugno 2018, 22:09:28
Hi Davide, I appreciate you letting me know that, I'll be careful what I do post and most of my listening takes place below 70MHz.  :up: Let me just say those signals are very strong when Sporadic E is good to Italy.  :wink:
In the UK our Police, Fire and ambulance services went digital Tetra some years ago to stop people listening with scanners. In two years they will transfer to 4G/5G using a system from EE mobile.

Here we have several Police corps - evidently, one wasn't enough :-)
Some have been using Tetra since a while, others DMR and others are still analogic.
Anyway, the key point is that everyone wants its own network, so costs are maximized and efficiency minimized. :-)

Ciao
Davide

rider

Citazione di: IZ2UUF (davj2500) il 25 Giugno 2018, 21:10:59
The 75-79MHz segment is allocated to the Police, while 73-74MHz segment is allocated to Fire Department.
Please, do not post here videos recorded in that segment (Police and Fire dept.) because in Italy recording (and, even worse, spreading) of such communications is strictly forbidden and the forum administrators could get in troubles.
Vy73 de Davide IZ2UUF

Hi Paul,
welcome and thank you for sharing this with us!

YES, as our Davide said, unfortunately here in Italy happens that government (and judges) assumes an FM transmission as "secret" and "reserved", or better, "not directed to the public" and so on...

BUT fortunately, I'm very happy to be spied on by an english "spy" like u, Mr. Bond!

Greetings from Italy and keep listening our voices!

73 de RIDER.
+---------------------------------               ___ .o0
| ..E CHE OGNI MANO ABBIA UN MICROFONO           \|/
| FINCHE' OGNI FREQUENZA NON AVRA' LA SUA RUOTA   |
+--------------------------------------- Rider ---+

r5000

73 a tutti, fantastico, sapere che un inglese riceve via E sporadico i  segnali italiani quando io ricevo altri segnali esteri mi fà enorme piacere, la radio è davvero senza confini...
ps: la banda dai 30 ai 70 mhz è piena di segnali, chiaro che bisogna esserci quando ci apre la propagazione ma senza propagazione se si ascolta regolarmente saltano fuori segnali inaspettati, i vecchi cordless, cerca persone, telecomandi e telemetria ecc... solo per restare in ambito locale ma c'è molto di più e lo si scopre quando la propagazione lo permette...
To everyone, great, to know that an Englishman receives the Italian signals sporadically and when I receive other foreign signals makes me enormous pleasure, the radio is truly borderless ...
ps: the band from 30 to 70 mhz is full of signals, clear that we must be there when we open the propagation but without propagation if you listen regularly jump out unexpected signals, the old cordless, looking for people, remote controls and telemetry etc ... only to stay in the local area but there is much more and it is discovered when the propagation allows it ...
non dare da mangiare al troll    https://www.rogerk.net/forum/index.php?msg=858599

UKDX

Another busy day for Italian communications into the UK. I do not know what these are so maybe someone could listen to the videos and tell me who or what these are? I do have one suggestion that they are at sea but won't say any detail for now.

This video is different because there are Italian and American voices on it, the 150Hz sub tone is official?

Again, if any of my recordings could be a problem for the forum please remove my post.
For all I know these signals could be anything from presidential security to someone ordering their shopping   :-D

Another of my hobbies is logging all the studio links that Italian radio stations use, lucky for me they use RDS so it's easy to confirm the station using fmlist.

I hope my English is clear enough that Google can translate it for the people who need to do that. I rescued my Segugio dog from Fontana Liri near Rome but the lady that saved her does not speak English and I do not speak Italian! All of our conversations were made through Google, it worked well!  :up:

lake

Many thanks for your contribution dear ukdx....., your videos are very interesting and fun
We need it at this  dark time  for Italy.........
Monitor R1A IR2CL  145.637,5
https://ik2zlj.jimdo.com/ir2cl-fm/
ik2zlj-r virtual server ovh

r5000

73 a tutti, vorrei sapere come è composta la tua stazione d'ascolto, indubbiamente ricevi molto bene le stazioni dx, l'antenna e il sito di ricezione sono fondamentali ma anche il ricevitore e suppongo preamplificatori e filtri fanno la differenza e sono curioso di sapere se ne fai uso oppure no, complimenti ancora per gli ascolti...
I would like to know how your listening station is composed, undoubtedly receive the right stations, the antenna and reception site are fundamental but also the receiver and I suppose preamplifiers and filters make the difference and I'm curious to know if you do use or not, congratulations again for the audience ...
non dare da mangiare al troll    https://www.rogerk.net/forum/index.php?msg=858599

UKDX

Ciao @R5000

OK, here is a complete description of my station :)

I do not have much interest in HF bands below 24MHz but if I do want to listen to shortwave I have a Wellbrook ALA1530 magnetic loop antenna.

My real passion starts around 25MHz where HF becomes VHF so I had a Log Periodic antenna designed and constructed by W4KMA and it is designed to work between 24 - 100MHz.

In the shack this is connected to a low pass filter that starts to roll off at 80MHz, then there is an FM broadcast notch filter, these both act to stop our local FM transmitters being received.

After this is an LNA4ALL amplifier, a variable attenuator and then a 6 port antenna splitter. The attenuator lets me set the signal level as if the antenna was connected directly to the radio.

The outputs of the splitter are connected to these radios;
Airspy SDR
RTL SDR
RTL SDR
HF port of Icom 8500
VHF port of Icom 8500
D100 TVDX receiver

The Icom 8500 is used to scan memories that I know are recieved during good radio propagation. The Airspy SDR is my main radio now and all my videos here are made using the Airspy. One RTL is used to monitor small areas of frequency like CB or 10M ham band. The other RTL is online and connected to SDR Sharp web server.

I also listen to FM broadcast stations between 87-108MHz. I use a home built 15 element design by Peter Korner, this is connected to a Cross Country Wireless multi-coupler to send the signal to four tuners. The Airspy, a Sony XDR tuner that I have modified to operate by computer and one of the RTLs. I also have a Kenwood 6040 and Sony SB920 tuners that monitor for RDS signals.

I have a remote control switch so I can switch either the log periodic or 15 element FM yagi to the Airspy.

Both the antennas are on top of a 10M mast. I hope all this makes sense :)

UKDX

If someone is able to listen to the videos I posted yesterday, I wonder if there are any clues as to the operation. I hear helicopters and 'bambino'. Do you think these are search and rescue missions in the Mediterranean or towards North Africa coast?

IW4ANV

WOW My compliments for your station!
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

165RGK591

what kind of wine there is on the table? :-D :-D :-D
I think that is an important thing to have in any radio station....
compliments for your radio room.
IS1054SWL

UKDX

Sorry @591 it's a Greek red wine but the Pizza and the dog are both Italian  :grin:

165RGK591

Citazione di: UKDX il 30 Giugno 2018, 19:02:10
Sorry @591 it's a Greek red wine but the Pizza and the dog are both Italian  :grin:
for pizza the best drink is ichnusa beer... from 165 division...[emoji12]

inviato SM-A510F using rogerKapp mobile

IS1054SWL

r5000

Citazione di: UKDX il 29 Giugno 2018, 18:53:40
If someone is able to listen to the videos I posted yesterday, I wonder if there are any clues as to the operation. I hear helicopters and 'bambino'. Do you think these are search and rescue missions in the Mediterranean or towards North Africa coast?
73 a tutti, non vedo il link del video in questione ma ho ascoltato  tutti i video che ho trovato e penso che hai ascoltato delle esercitazioni della protezione civile o simile dove c'era l'ausilio di elicotteri anti incendio o salvataggio, ho sentito Rieti e lago di Bolsena, quello che forse hai capito come "bambino" è barchino cioè una barca piccola o gommone usato per l''esercitazione in acqua dolce, la banda di frequenza 30-70 mhz è da sempre utilizzata dall'aviazione leggera terrestre mentre in mare usano la banda marina cioè i 156 mhz e la parlata dei volontari di terra è inconfondibile rispetto ai piloti e operatori militari o professionisti, complimenti ancora per la stazione e aver condiviso gli ascolti dx...
I do not see the link of the video in question but I listened to all the videos I found and I think you heard some tutorials of civil protection or similar where there was the help of helicopters fire or rescue, I heard Rieti and Lake Bolsena , what you may have understood as a "child" is a small boat or inflatable boat used for the exercise in fresh water, the frequency band 30-70 mhz has always been used by land light aviation while at sea they use the marine band ie 156 mhz and the speech of land volunteers is unmistakable compared to pilots and military operators or professionals, congratulations again to the station and have shared the right views ...

165RGK591

Citazione di: UKDX il 28 Giugno 2018, 22:31:50

Another of my hobbies is logging all the studio links that Italian radio stations use, lucky for me they use RDS so it's easy to confirm the station using fmlist.

Hi... the two radio links you heard come from:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=42.40443&mlon=12.856702&zoom=5#map=5/42.404/12.857
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=42.40443&mlon=12.856702&zoom=5#map=5/42.404/12.857

but in Italy the range of the links for broadcasting stations is 2300-2500 MHz with 2 mt dish.
so... 8O 8O 8O
IS1054SWL

IU2IDU

Citazione di: IZ2UUF (davj2500) il 25 Giugno 2018, 23:32:20
so costs are maximized and efficiency minimized

This is a warm homegrown topic.... ;-)

Joking aside, thanks to everyone for this very interesting tread, especially thanks to the author UKDX.

Grazie a Davide per la solita precisione!

73 Giulio IU2IDU
IU2IDU operatore GIULIO
686-SM COTA - Associazione Radioamatori Carabinieri

UKDX

Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been away for a few days :)

There are lots of broadcast links between 50-70MHz, I used to keep a map of their locations and proximity to television transmitters on 53 and 62MHz.  Jonica Radio is ALWAYS the first signal to appear then Mepradio or Lattemiele.
I keep a webpage of all the links I have received here http://www.ukdx.org.uk/tv/feeders.htm

During the weekend I heard a few signals from Italy, no mysteries this time but I made a video anyway  8)

Another analogue telephone and on 45MHz again. I love this old technology so if anyone has an old unit in storage please let me know as I want to make a web page showing these old telephones.
Voice traffic on hospital paging, I hope it isn't sensitive information!
A church rebroadcast, it is the first time I've heard this frequency.

As always, please delete this post if the video is a problem

Paul